Welcome to my corner of the blogverse!
I started this blog in November 2008 as a project for my teaching degree IT class. Wrote the post requested by the prof, and then forgot it for a while. Inspiration trickled through in bits and pieces. A few movie posts here, some Christmas stuff there... and before I quite knew what I was getting myself into I was hooked! I'd discovered the ultimate procrastination tool.
What's it all about? Well I'm still trying to figure that one out! I read somewhere (lots of places actually) that if you want to develop a "readership" and "get yourself out there" you need to stick to one theme. But how to choose? Marine biology? Movies? Books? TV? Pop culture? Travels? Some people suffer from a lack of curiosity about the world in which they live... myself, it's the opposite. I have so many hobbies and passions it can be hard to keep track of them! Thoughts pop into my head from all directions. Therein lies the reasoning behind the title. My interests are truly all over the place! ;o)
So there's no single and unique centre of focus here. I didn't set out with any ambitions of blogging fame, I just enjoyed having a place to express myself, let me ponder on what's going on. Just me and my thoughts. Random ramblings about my life, my travels, my craziness... I write about movies, though I don't pretend to be a critic, I'm just so used to my friends coming to me for movie advice/opinions that it seemed like an extension of that. I write about the books I read to share them with others (and hopefully help potential readers discover new authors), but also as a way for me to keep track of what I've read. I'll rant and rave when something's bugging me. I'll share funny anecdotes and videos that cross my path. I'll wander around the globe and I'll tell tales of the animals that inhabit our oceans.
What's made this a particularly enjoyable experience has been interacting with fellow bloggers. Visiting their virtual homes, welcoming them here into mine. Exchanging ideas and encouragements through comments. So please feel free to join in the fun! If you like what you read drop a line. If you see something on the web you think I'd be interested in, leave a comment and let me know!
So welcome to my neck of the woods, and I hope you enjoy your visit! If it's your first time then here are a few of my favourites:
- Oceanic Blog-A-Thon - I enjoyed hosting this event for the 2009 World Ocean's Day during which 22 bloggers from around the Globe shared stories and experiences around the Ocean to help raise awareness amongst their readers. We repeated in 2010 and I'll be doing it again in June 2011 so start thinking about your contribution! ;o)
- Obama "roasted" in Alicante - the US President honoured by being burnt at the stake during the 2009 Hogueras!
- Hogueras de San Juan - THE festive event of the year in Alicante! 4-day yearly party for the summer solstice and the feast of St John on June 24th.
- Snowy Alicante - Such a rare event hereabouts it must be celebrated!
- Christmas traditions - my family's mix of Spanish and US traditions, as well as going-ons during the holidays here in Spain (which don't finish until Jan 6th).
- Journées du Patrimoine - visiting some rather unique places in Belgium
- Alicante Summers - sharing some of the warmth of our Mediterranean sea and sun!
Fishy Fridays - Fishy gossip twice a month (when "life" doesn't get in the way), currently visiting the Aquarium in Liège (Belgium) where I worked as a guide.Favourites: F.F. ep. 3 and ep. 9 - lesser spotted dogfish! also known as catsharks...
Monthly Movies - short "reviews" of the movies I see each month
Monthly Reading - ditto but for books
Movie Magic - a closer look at films that really "wowed" me