19 Mar 2020

Coronavirus Lockdown Spanish Edition - Day 6 - not celebrating

A year ago today we were having a great lunch at the beach, happy a successful surgery was behind us, and hopeful about the radiotherapy and chemotherapy sessions that were about to start. We were celebrating Father's Day (March 19th in Spain, coinciding with the Feast of Saint Joseph). I took my dad to the movies (Stan & Ollie) like I always did for Father's Day if I was home...



Today is still Father's Day. And in most of Spain it's actually a holiday (religious, not because of Father's Day). So no work! Yay!? If it were a normal year in Valencia they'd be getting ready to burn down the Fallas (postponed to July). People are celebrating however they can during the lock down. All together or online if far apart. I see friends passing messages and photos around on Whatsapp or Facebook. Wishes for anyone who's a dad or anyone called Pepe or Pepa (common nicknames for José and Josefa). Showing off cards their kids drew (good thing to keep them busy for a few hours during quarantine!). But for those of without our dads, it just sucks. The only thing I can be even slightly positive about today is being thankful that this bloody virus didn't declare itself a year ago, so my dad didn't have to spend the last 6 months of his life locked away at home, scared of catching his death from anyone coming to close. Instead he got to play music. Go to the movies. Hang out with his family. Throw a badass 72nd birthday bash for 100 people with half a dozen lasagnas (among other foods). Have hope that he was going to come through the other end...

Today my mom and I were going to meet up with family in Valencia to celebrate the saint's day (we have several Jose & Josefa in the group), stopping along the way at the cemetery in Altea for a few minutes with my dad. Instead we're each in our home with eyes that aren't dry.

Today sucks. Cancer sucks. The bloody coronavirus sucks. 😡💔😢

#stayhome #quedateencasa #yomequedoencasa #restecheztoi

1 comment:

  1. It's a terribly difficult time, even when you don't have a day like this to remember and mourn your wonderful father. I agree with your sentiments. Sending you a virtual hug, dear Cris.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Yes you! The quiet one in the back... I'd love it if you hung out for a bit and shared your thoughts!

I might stop by your place with an answer, but I'm more likely to reply right here so click on "email follow up comments" if you'd like to see what I and others have to say and come continue the conversation! ;o)