15 Apr 2020

Coronavirus Lockdown Spanish Edition - Day 33 - Quarantine Movie Marathon!

When we all got locked in a month ago (that long?!) one of the first things that popped into my head was "Tolkien movie marathon!!!" So the first weekend I watched the Hobbit trilogy, and the second one the Lord of the Rings trilogy. And then I stalled... what next? Looking at my dvds... Star Wars? Nope, missing the latest (doesn't come out on disc in Spain until June). Harry Potter? Indiana Jones? So many fabulous options!


Many people around me have been talking about fun "quarantine projects" involving books, Netflix series marathons, movies (I've been organizing online Saturday "movie nights" with friends)... And then it came to me! A quarantine-long (but not daily!) movie marathon in which the criteria were:
  • Has to be a movie I own (some of them haven't been taken off the shelves in a loooong time)
  • Whichever movie I watch has to be related somehow to the previous one (with the exception of Saturday Movie Night, since that's a consensus pick among the gang)

I've definitely got enough DVDs to get me through a very long quarantine, the challenge will be linking them together! So far I've seen (extended or director's editions whenever possible):
  1. The Hobbit trilogy (dir. Peter Jackson, based on book by Tolkien)
    1. An Unexpected Journey
    2. The Desolation of Smaug
    3. The Battle of the Five Armies
  2. The Lord of the Rings trilogy (dir. Peter Jackson, based on books by Tolkien) 
    1. The Fellowship of the Ring
    2. The Two Towers
    3. The Return of the King
  3. A Knight's Tale (dir. Brian Helgeland, starring Heath Ledger)
  4. The Kingdom of Heaven (dir. Riddley Scott, starring Orlando Bloom)
  5. Pirates of the Caribbean 
    1. The Curse of the Black Pearl (dir. Gore Verbinski, starring Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, Geoffrey Rush)
    2. Dead Man's Chest (dir. Gore Verbinski, starring Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley)
    3. At World's End (dir. Gore Verbinski, starring Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, Geoffrey Rush)
    4. On Stranger Tides (dir. Rob Marhsall, starring Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Penelope Cruz)
    5. Dead Men Tell no Tales (dir. Joachim Ronning & Espen Sandberg, starring Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Javier Bardem)
  6. The Pirate (dir. Vincente Minelli, starring Judy Garland & Gene Kelly)
  7. The Goonies (dir. Richard Donner, story by Steven Spielberg, script by Chris Columbus)

No need to explain the relationship between the first two trilogies, pretty self-explanatory. But can you figure out the connections between the ones that follow? I'll admit I had to stretch a bit to link A Knight's Tale to Return of the King since I watched it (and Kingdom of Heaven) before I decided this was how I was going to plan my quarantine movie-watching. But there is a link.

I'm having a hard time deciding what to watch next... Super Eight or ET? Both are linked to the Goonies in the "kids on an adventure in the '80s" and the Spielberg connection, it's more a matter of where I go next... Maybe both then Indiana Jones (Spielberg), Swing Kids (Nazis!). But from there do I segue into Dead Poet Society (actor link) or Empire of the Sun (still WW2)? The former puts me on a Robin Williams track, the latter leads to the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy and '90s Little Women (both with Christian Bale). Of course after the Goonies I could directly segue into Harry Potter since the first two films were written and directed by Chris Columbus who wrote the Goonies' script... I could also go for the last Avengers films since Josh Brolin is in those and is a Goonies! Tough choices!!! No wonder I haven't watched one since the Goonies on Sunday! 😅

I'll keep a list running, and share it when the quarantine ends. Will be fun to see where I end up! 😈


Today's smile is musical! A friend shared this video with me today, by the end of it I was laughing so hard I was in tears! Enjoy. 😉


Still catching up on draft blog posts from before Easter. Today I managed to post Days 20 & 21. Local holidays and universities. 😎

#stay home, #quedateencasa, #yomequedoencasa, #restecheztoi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Yes you! The quiet one in the back... I'd love it if you hung out for a bit and shared your thoughts!

I might stop by your place with an answer, but I'm more likely to reply right here so click on "email follow up comments" if you'd like to see what I and others have to say and come continue the conversation! ;o)