23 Aug 2014

Yay for regular maintenance!

It's a good thing mandated regular maintenance exists... Or the surprise I got this week when the hot water heater guy came by could have been MUCH worse later down the line... I mentioned that it didn't seem to be working well, not heating as much, trouble starting sometimes cutting off (in the middle of a shower!)... Not fun! So he started knocking on the chimney, and then asked me if I'd seen birds coming in and out... 

Check out what happened when he took it apart:


Nesting material, including a couple of tiny unhatched eggs.

The nesting material went waaay down the vertical pipe too!







Damn swallows! Now I'm going to have go find some kind of mesh thingy to put around this before the birds come back and start all over again...






So this dipping my toes back into the blogging world seems to be progressing by millimeters! Lots of extra work to wrap up before I stopped for vacation, visitors during the holiday so not much time there... and LOTS of time spent with wedding organization! My sister's getting married here in Alicante in 2 weeks, and as she lives in the US, well that means lots of help on the family's part! So still not much time for the next 2 weeks... But I do plan on finding some time to work on the photos I took today while diving over a 2000 year-old Roman wreck! ;o)

5 comments:

  1. Good Lord! That is one awful mess, and I think it's very wonderful you found it now, rather than later. And although I miss your posts, I think that wedding will be taking quite a bit of your time, they always do, don't they? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help thinking how lucky I've been it didn't catch fire... And I'm wondering if ALL THAT is just from this past Spring or the previous one as well? Kind of scary...

      The wedding has already been taking up a lot of my time! Especially the bachelorette party. ;o) But it's good fun. And will be even more fun on the big days!

      Delete
  2. OMG - that is horrible. We had that same thing happen with our furnace and I was horrified.

    I didn't know your sister lived in the US. Which state? You must be so excited for the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to cover up the chimney to avoid that happening again!

      My sister moved from New Zealand to New Mexico last summer! (by way of a three month trip around Southeast Asia... she and her fiancé know how to travel! ;o) ) They should be there another year or two and then it will probably be onwards to somewhere else... we're hoping somewhere even closer to Europe. :p

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the wedding plans. Too bad about your bird situation - a large piece of screening secured with duct tape should fix you right up. :0)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Yes you! The quiet one in the back... I'd love it if you hung out for a bit and shared your thoughts!

I might stop by your place with an answer, but I'm more likely to reply right here so click on "email follow up comments" if you'd like to see what I and others have to say and come continue the conversation! ;o)