THEY'RE FINALLY HERE!!!
By "they" I mean the Olympics, and by "here" I mean London... well, and on our TV/computer screens! ;o)
Have I ever mentioned that I LOVE the Olympics? No? Well I do! Since as far back as I can remember. The Opening Ceremonies are always thrilling (my clearest early memory is the lighting of the torch in Barcelona'92... with a flaming arrow! And then watching Spain win Gold in football). I'm constantly amazed when I watch the gymnasts -how do they do that?!?!?!-, thrilled with the divers, mesmerized by the synchronised swimming, excited by the team sports, my adrenaline starts pumping with the speed of the swimming and running and I'm simply moved in each medal ceremony I watch (no matter whose anthem is playing). I love having the chance to see sports that are never given any air time. And I particularly enjoy them when I'm living in a time zone that allows me to enjoy as much of the events as possible! This year it's more special because thanks to a wonderful blogger I'm able to see some of the goings-on backstage, through the eyes of one of the volunteers! ;o)
The Olympic Fever is a widespread phenomenon I think... Some of the kids who live in my complex have been playing at "synchronised swimming" in the pool! Not too bad either!
And when I went with a couple kids to a nearby theme park (Juliette you'd love this place, the "theme" is Ancient Mediterranean cultures!), we had lots of fun "playing" Olympic medallists! ;o)
Then there was the joy and excitement of watching the Opening Ceremony last night. I was watching it alone, and was so excited I simply HAD to comment it... even if it were sending out statements into the Facebook ether... Here was my take on the ceremony as it happened:
- Waiting for the Opening Ceremony to start... love that the Olympics are here again! :o)
- cool! Kenneth Branagh and Shakespeare, how appropriate! :o)
- Awesome costumes! And WOAH those smokestacks!!! Wonder what the molten metal is becoming? Olympic rings? ;o)
- COOL!!! Love those fire-raining Rings!!! :o)
- James Bond!!! Do we get the Queen???
- We get her corgies at least...
- WOAH!!!! THE QUEEN!!!
- Did they just have the Queen of England jump out of a chopper?!?!?!
- well, her doppleganger at least. Fun idea! ;o)
- Storybooks... so many wonderful stories!
- Am loving the NHS segment! Swing dancing around the hospital beds? While the kids get to JUMP on the beds?! FUN!!!
- And JK Rowling reading them Peter Pan?! :o)
- and children's nightmares? the bad guys from children's stories! Including Voldemort!!! :D
- Mary Poppins to the rescue! Is Julie Andrews among them I wonder?
- Oooh! A CINEMA homage! Starting with Chariots of Fire of course... but did Mr Bean have to be there? (ugh!)
- (ok, I guess he's a bit funny... but he'd be funnier if he had another name...)
- those dance costumes are crrrrrrrazy!!! (but the music's awesome!)
- Beckham sure looks happy to be driving that motorboat with the Torch! :o)
- Very moving song... (ed: Abide With Me)
- FINALLY the Athletes! :o)
- that's A LOT of really important people in the VIP section... :p
- LOVE the outfits from many of these countries! (mostly the African nations)
- rubber boots! The Croatians sure have a sense of humour! :p
- I think those metal thingies the girls accompanying the flag bearers are carrying are going to be somehow assembled into the cauldron for the Olympic flame...
- Cyprus: Baghdatis, Russia: Sharapova, Serbia: Djokovic, Switzerland: Federer... I miss Rafa! *sniff*
- woops! They switched Federer for Wawrinka! :p
|Pau Gasol leading the Spanish Athletes|
- ESPAAAAAAAAÑA!!! :o)
- so the US has sent more women than men athletes? Cool! :o)
- Michelle Obama's looking good up there!
- so all the athletes are in... time to wrap it up? sleepy... zzzzzz
- cycling doves? interesting.
- "Reject doping" Excellent words by Jacques Rogue.
- The Games get declared open before the Flag goes up or the Flame comes in?
- Impressive Flag bearers! PEACE! :o)
- that hill with all the flags looks gorgeous!
- I didn't know the judges and trainers swore an Olympic oath as well as the athletes! Seems fair. Fair play and Olympic Spirit for all. ;o)
- VERY impressive final lighting of the torch! PRETTY! :o)
- 2 a.m., time for bed! zzzzzzzz
Did you watch the Opening Ceremony? What did you think?
I heard that in the U.S. it wasn't live, had lots of commercials and had bits edited out... Pity. Here in Spain we had it live (but we're closer so the whole time zone thing helps), with no advertisements, and very few commentaries (just enough to introduce each section and explain some of the symbolism, plus the usual comments of the athletes when they come in). All told about 4h. Was at times funny, moving, interesting... and very British! I liked it! I thought it was quite beautiful. I particularly enjoyed the NHS segment (the children in hospital beds with the nurses and the stories coming to life). And 007 with the Queen! I was also astonished by the speed with which they transformed the bucolic countryside into the stage for the industrial revolution! And the final lighting of the torch? Simply beautiful! :o)