11 Jan 2012

Marine Debris and Seal Entanglement

Before I bring back to life series of posts like Fishy Fridays, Page vs Screen, or Come Dive With Me, I've got to finish up with a couple of posts I had prepared just before the holidays and which I didn't have time to work on because of all the Christmas blogging and holiday activities! :p

I'm hoping you remember a few posts I wrote back in October (so long ago, how time flies!) about cleaning up local beaches, particularly the one organized by the Volvo Ocean Race and Skeleton Sea which was to be linked with a workshop centered on creating art from the marine debris... The second part of that post is coming soon (playing with trash!), but first I wanted to share this video with you about how marine debris can inflict harm on Stellar Sea Lions in Alaska. I hope you have 10' to watch it. It's interesting, sadly quite informative about this problem and does offer a few simple suggestions of things we can do to help, even if we don't live on the coast! (for example cutting loops... soft drink / beer six packs anyone?)



And let me launch the first reminder: World Oceans Day is only 5 months away!!! (June 8th) ;o)


4 comments:

  1. That is heartbreaking to see. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been cutting up those plastic things for years and whenever we go for a beach walk, I pick up garbage. Our problem here are those helium and birthday balloons and the strings they are tied to. They are everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dive Girl, I've been doing the same thing! My parents would laugh at my sisters and me for doing it, but we eventually got them to do it as well. ;o)

      Delete

Hey there! Yes you! The quiet one in the back... I'd love it if you hung out for a bit and shared your thoughts!

I might stop by your place with an answer, but I'm more likely to reply right here so click on "email follow up comments" if you'd like to see what I and others have to say and come continue the conversation! ;o)