14 Apr 2020

Coronavirus Lockdown Spanish Edition - Day 32 - Slowly opening up?

Two weeks ago, to slow down the virus spread even more, the Spanish government froze all non-essential jobs for 8 (working) days, putting anyone who was still going to work (as opposed to working from home) in non-essential services (so not in the food supply chain, health, public sanitation or transport) on a "recuperable holiday", the idea being that they would still be paid, but they'd have to work out with their employers how to recuperate those non-worked hours. Honestly I don't know how much of the labour force that represents, as most businesses that depend on customers have all had to shut down putting their employees on Covid-furlough (they should be receiving 70% of their salary from the government, but I don't know anyone who's gotten it yet). I guess some industry, plus construction, and domestic helpers (unless they were going to care for sick or elderly)?

Anyhow, between yesterday and today (because yesterday was a holiday, Easter Monday, in a third of the country) all those people were allowed to go back to work, following strict social distancing measures. It was even announced that there would be a distribution of face masks at the entrance to public transportation for people who used it. We'll see how this goes... hope the numbers don't start increasing again! There were some vocal protests by certain professional groups (I saw one from nutritionists?) saying it was too soon. I hope not! If it goes well, hopefully they'll start relaxing the measures for more of us.


In any case, on my little escape today (I walked over to my mom's to take over a Tupperware of stroganoff and a lemon drizzle cake I made yesterday) I could definitely see the difference. A few more people out and about, and noticeably in her complex the construction workers had started up again on the renovations to the façade...



Today's smile comes from some of my first floor neighbors who pumped up the volume after the 8pm applause (they have a great sound system and excellent taste in music!) and were dancing on their balcony with heart cushions! 😂


#stayhome #quedateencasa #yomequedoencasa #restecheztoi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Yes you! The quiet one in the back... I'd love it if you hung out for a bit and shared your thoughts!

I might stop by your place with an answer, but I'm more likely to reply right here so click on "email follow up comments" if you'd like to see what I and others have to say and come continue the conversation! ;o)