3 Jun 2009

coming soon... an Oceanic Blog-A-Thon!

Hello everyone!

I just found out that next Monday June 8th is "World Oceans Day"!


It's hosted / organised / coordinated by The Ocean Project. As stated on their website:

"The concept for World Oceans Day was proposed in 1992 by the Government of Canada at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro and it had been unofficially celebrated every year since then. Official designation by the U.N. is a significant step in conserving and protecting our world's ocean. World Oceans Day provides an opportunity each year to celebrate our world ocean and our personal connection to the sea.
The Ocean Project, working closely with the World Ocean Network each year, helps to coordinate events and activities with aquariums, zoos, museums, conservation organizations, universities, schools, businesses.
As of 2009, "World Oceans Day" has been officially declared by the United Nations as June 8th each year!
"

As someone who fell in love with the Ocean at a young age, and who grew up to become a Marine Biologist and Oceanographer, you'd be right in guessing that this an event I'm particularly interested in! ;o)

I think it's important in this day and age to help increase awareness of the importance the Earth's seas and oceans have for us and the survival of this planet. The oceans provide food, oxygen, mineral ressources... Throughout history (and pre-history) many people's fates and cultures have been intrinsically linked to the sea: from the early uses of fish and other animals for food, shells as currency, various products as dyes... to the sailing of the seas to reach far away lands and develop commerce and cultural exchange (as well as other less pleasant things). And let's not forget the simple inspirational influence the Sea has had on many a poet, author or just about anyone who has spent a few minutes gazing into its depths and wondering at its secrets.

Such a crucial and wonderous element that is sadly under constant assault by human activites. Be these excessive fishing or habitat-damaging fishing, by pollution, or even by global warming... our impact on the Earth's seas and oceans is increasing each year, to the point where perhaps someday we will overload it's capacity to bounce back.

Since it's a bit late in the day to follow the some of Ocean Project's suggestions for celebrating this day, i.e. organise an "event" of some kind, I thought I could go "technological" and host a "Blog-A-Thon" here in cyberspace! :o)
For those who are wondering what a strange term that is... think "blog" and "marathon". Basically everyone participating writes a post in their Blog on the announced subject, and then comes and gives me the link to their post. I'll write up my own post and then a specific "Oceanic Blog-A-Thon" entry where I'll list all the participants in the event so anyone who's interested can go and read what others have to say on the subject.

Apparently each year World Ocean Day has a certain theme. This year's is:


More about that if you click on the link above. We could use that as a launching point for ideas, and just take off from there and see where inspiration leads us.

What do you think? Would anyone else be interested in participating? Please say YES!!! And pass the word on to your own readers and let's see how wide a net we can cast! I look forward to reading what everyone has to say on a subject that can lead off into so many different directions! :o)


17 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/6/09 15:59

    I would love to participate my dear Cris! The ocean has a special call for me, it's hard to explain. If I'm not near water I don't feel right. So I will post something about the ocean on June 8th, following the theme? Sounds fun, I hope more people will be interested! And if not, we'll be the pioneers for next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know about World Ocean Day. I'll look for a book on the subject when I go to the library next so I can do a special blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely write something up! I'll see if I can find anything relevant at the library and post on both of my blogs on the 8th. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! Participants!

    I look forward to reading everyone's posts and seeing what we can accomplish with this bit of blogging zaniness! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi:)

    Greetings:)

    I'm coming from Herrad's blog.

    Very interesting post. No one really thinks about the ocean in such details--What it has done for us, what it is doing for us and what it will do to us in the future if we don't pay attention.

    We only go to the ocean on summer days to sit around,enjoy the cool breeze, admire the beauty of the vast expanse of water, watch ships sailing by, see fishermen casting their nets(here in Kochi we have Chinese nets and I wonder whether you have it in your place)and see some people cooling themselves in the sparkling waters.

    You idea of OCEANIC BLOG-A-THON is excellent. If I can do something about it, I will let you know.

    In the meanwhile, I would like you to know I tremendously enjoyed reading your post with a purpose.

    Have a wonderful day:)
    Jseph

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Joseph! So nice of you to stop by from so far away! :o)

    I'm glad the idea has peaked your interest and I look forward to reading whatever it inspires you to write on the subject! I would love to discover new things from your unique corner of the world!

    Nope, we don't have nets like those here in Spain. Our waters aren't rich enough to fish from the coast or by just casting nets. Perhaps they were at some point but centuries of increasingly intensive fishing have left the Mediterranean a little bit... empty.
    There is one style of fishing that I believe is rather particular to our coasts, called CURRICAN. Fishermen drag a line behind their boat and have many fishhooks dangling below that line. I've never seen it (isn't used much anymore except for local fishermen who don't go too far out) but I studied it in University.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to see someone speaking up for the planet - good stuff and thanks for popping by my blog.
    Best wishes
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wear Blue and Tell Two

    Thank you for promoting World Oceans Day!! ...and don’t forget to “Wear Blue and Tell Two”
    Another great way to celebrate World Oceans Day. Wear blue in honor of the ocean and tell people two things they likely don't know about the ocean and two ways they can take action. For more Information check out this website:

    WorldOceansDay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    Please come by my blog and pick up your award.

    Love,

    Herrad

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Terrific idea, Chris. I'll do a post today to see if we can get some more participants.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea - I will be participating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Connected via "Life in the Second Half" - GREAT Idea - riding the wave of cyberspace across land and sea,
    to honor what carries life's decree...

    Best,
    Rose Marie Raccioppi
    APOGEE Poet

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS As a poet and artist, waters, be they ponds, lakes, streams, brooks, rivers, or great oceans, are ever a well spring of inspiration and reverence. I will post on APOGEE Poet and inform you as suggested. Thank you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rose!

    It will be lovely to have some poetic input in the event! Water also inspires me in its many forms, but I can never figure out how to put those feelings into words. So I look forward to reading the words of someone who can!

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Chris,
    MzzLily brought me here! Once again I'm indebted to that wonderful woman.

    Your idea for an Oceanic Blog-A-Thon is genius. It's so timely now that Google is letting us explore the waters of the earth.

    I like your blog and will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome! welcome!

    the more the merrier!!!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes I want to participate in "Oceanic Blog-A-Thon" Here is the link to my blog-
    http://prashansapuranik.blogspot.com/2009/06/ocean-mania.html

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Yes you! The quiet one in the back... I'd love it if you hung out for a bit and shared your thoughts!

I might stop by your place with an answer, but I'm more likely to reply right here so click on "email follow up comments" if you'd like to see what I and others have to say and come continue the conversation! ;o)