31 Jul 2026

Challenging Fifty

Half a century, here we go!

I think I’ve always liked numbers, especially ones that have felt “special” to me for whatever reason. Maybe for some historical significance (like a key date), maybe because of nicknames (in Spain 22 = “los dos patitos” πŸ¦†πŸ¦†, 33 = “la edad de Cristo”), maybe linked to a story or a book I read (11 is a big one!).

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, age has never felt quite “real“ to me as a concept. Probably because I don’t think I’ve ever really acted (or often “looked“) my age. As a teenager, I was both still a kid, but also “too responsible for my age”.

But birthdays where I’m turning what I think is a “cool“ number? Now those I really like! And it’s probably the only time I actually think about how old I am. Not because of the “age” itself or how I feel or what society associates with it. But just because it is a cool number! 😎

So 50 was always going to be a big deal for me. I mean, it’s half a century! How could it not be cool?

I really want to acknowledge that coolness by celebrating it in a different way. Yes of course with cake and candles (there had better be 50!) and family and friends, but also by pushing myself to live with more intention, more purpose, less going with the flow. And always with this concept of 5️⃣0️⃣ clearly in mind.

So, I’m challenging 50! Not to a duel or anything like that, but to come along with me on an adventure. Or two. Or three. Or 50! 😎

I’ve come up with a series of “50s” challenges that I’m going to work on - or play with! - over the course of the next year. Who knows, maybe as I go through them I’ll figure out what it means to be 50. Or maybe not. Probably not. It’s just just a number. But it can be a fun number! 🀩

So tune in for the challenges next week! I’m working on a couple of them right now while traveling in Sweden, surviving in the blog isn’t at the top of my to-do list at the moment. πŸ˜‰

Oh, and if you’d like to try and guess a few, go ahead! I’m also open to suggestions… 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Yes you! The quiet one in the back... I'd love it if you hung out for a bit and shared your thoughts!

I might stop by your place with an answer, but I'm more likely to reply right here so click on "email follow up comments" if you'd like to see what I and others have to say and come continue the conversation! ;o)