28 Dec 2009

On the Fourth day of Christmas...

I saw four angels atop a Christmas tree!





Those are from a wonderful papier maché artist in Mexico City and they always grace the top of our trees.



Actually the Fourth Day of Christmas is its own special day in Spain. It's known as the Día de los Santos Inocentes when the Catholic Church commemorates the Massacre of the Innocents by King Herod after the Three Kings visited him telling him of the birth of a "King of the Jews" in Bethlehem in Judea.

On the non-religious side, it's the equivalent in Spain and most Latin-American countries of "April Fool's Day"! In other words watch out for practical jokes! ;o)

2 comments:

  1. I was hoping you would show the angels you mentioned in "Christmas Questions" and you didn't disappoint me. These are just lovely (and I love the cow).

    Practical jokes for Christmas? That is too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe, if you look closely at the first Christmas Tree photo in the 1st Day of Christmas post

    http://crazycrishereandthere.blogspot.com/2009/12/on-first-day-of-christmas.html

    then you can also easily see the dish and the spoon and the dog! I think the cat&the fiddle are at the other side of the tree.

    Those are parts of a mobile my mother made for my sister's crib when she was born (although I can only remember them as Xmas decorations!)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Yes you! The quiet one in the back... I'd love it if you hung out for a bit and shared your thoughts!

I might stop by your place with an answer, but I'm more likely to reply right here so click on "email follow up comments" if you'd like to see what I and others have to say and come continue the conversation! ;o)